Friday 19 November 2021

I am the werewolf, he is the vampire, she is the witch, and each of us is the weapon

 Zak Smith's superhero system, I Am The Weapon, is cool*. 

But having a cool system isn't enough. You need to think of something fun to do with it. And when it comes to superheroics, with me, it's always either "Spider-Man, Spider-Man, does whatever a spider can again, and again", or "Otam, clotam, Batman in Gotham". It gets old fast. 

So I thought about urban fantasy. There's a nice book series (actually, two of them) by Patricia Briggs about an Earth where the fae decided to come out in 1980's and admit that, yes, they do exist. Thirty years later the werewolves followed. And no one wanted to out the vampires for obvious reasons. 

It's a world with plenty superpowered characters who are very different (werewolves are mostly similar but they're all more or less crazy which gives them variety, vampires who are old enough to be independent usually have different powers, and every kind of fae is different from another kind of fae, and there are also witches and demons and Native American supernatural people and by the way remember king Arthur's sword? The sword is a real thing, and it's still hidden somewhere close by). 

So I took IATW, and I started working on a pitch that would help to make up some characters suitable for this world. Werewolves are strong and fast and have sharp senses, and vampires are strong and fast and dead at daytime, - cool, sure, but I also want their magic to work in different ways, using different stats. The magic of the witches is easy, Zak's Sorcery from IATW should work just fine - intellect-based, learn a spell before you can prepare it, cast it in a critical situation before you can learn it, prepare up to five spells per day and so on. But vampires should be special. 

And I had some ideas that seemed to be fun, some of them about making a character, some of them about playing. I'll write more about those after I give them some testing with the group. 

______

* Last time I checked, you could buy I Am The Weapon from Zak's Store. It's worth every cent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Answering Jeff Rients's twenty questions for our Krynn game

We're still stuck in Spidernesti, so this is what I mean when talking about "land".   What is the deal with my cleric's re...