Saturday 11 February 2023

The Mont-Saint-Michel adventure

 A couple weeks ago, a virus hit the whole population of the planet, both normal and superpowered. Everyone forgot who they were, and what sort of life they've led. The memories restore slowly, so now people have moved from "who am I?" to "who are you?" 

Some people even manage to remember their friends, which is why Mister Worldwide, a really big guy (seriously, he's, like, 5 m tall), received an e-mail from a sexy French scientist begging him to help her. 

Mr Worldwide did the same thing anyone would've done - he gathered his friends that he barely remembered because of the virus thing, Apollo (sporty guy, light powers, energy vampire - not THAT kind, the kind that absorbs light energy) and Dolphina (emigrant girl, speaks with an accent, doesn't look like a dolphin at all). 

And the team went to France, to a nice little resort place called Mont-Saint-Michel. 


Lovely place. 

 

What have we learned during this adventure? 

1. Zoom puts a limit on how long you can play superhero RPGs online. 

2. So does Google Meets. 

3. You can pull your punches, but you cannot exactly "pull" it when you fry people with laser beams. 

4. Even if you're a huge guy, you can still figure out a way to sneak on someone. 

5. Yelling "They're at your two o'clock!" doesn't always work the way it does in the movies. 

Zak is a good GM, imaginative and artistic. I'm going to miss the poor, misunderstood Grotesquery. 

The decisions that the players made had consequences, and things became more interesting. 

Generating a character in I Am The Weapon can take a while because there are a lot of choices and options. However, playing is fast and easy. The math that makes me suffer a lot (okay, strength is 7, plus sword-wielding skill, minus encumberance, multiply by pi squared...) is replaced with "You need this stat, roll the dice that you have for this stat, that's it". 

I think I'll write up some kind of table for converting characters from FASERIP to I Am The Weapon.

4 comments:

  1. I like imagining what happened just based on this synopsis - I need to find more superhero stuff I like to read.
    I like concrete, hellboy, nemo, flaming carrot, bone, leviathan, watchmen - but that is it
    I never really got into anything else.

    Do you have any recommendations for anything like those you know of? I don't know which ones you are familiar with and which you aren't...

    Anyways - good post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.
      As for superhero stuff. You probably know about the Watchmen spinoffs - Doomsday Clock, Before Watchmen series (Nite Owl was pretty good, from what I remember, the rest was readable). There's also Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Planetary is something you might like, I think?

      Delete

Answering Jeff Rients's twenty questions for our Krynn game

We're still stuck in Spidernesti, so this is what I mean when talking about "land".   What is the deal with my cleric's re...