Sunday 30 April 2023

Get me Spider-Man, she said.

I wanna play.

That's it: I wanna play now. I want to play an RPG right away!

I am busy I am an adult. I do not have time for anything!

Zak S

I dunno if it's an ADHD thing, or if it's a "we all live in a country at war and last year we stopped playing and went into a bomb shelter because the alarm sounded", or if Zak is just right about what he says. 

But that's exactly how I often feel. 

Like today I had no plan, no books, no adventures to give to my players. We just agreed that they're agents of SHIELD and it's Marvel universe and let's pick the simplest way to write down your characters and play

So they are a dysfunctional team of spies, and Maria Hill wants them to recruit Spider-Man yesterday. 

Can we burn down New York City, m'am? 

And Hill says, I want Spider-Man and I don't care how you get him to me, but if you burn something or kill someone you'll answer because I don't even know you. 

And one of the spies has her memory all busted and she doesn't remember her teammates if she's separated from them for a couple hours, but she pretends to have memorized the whole Domino's menu and just makes up pizza names because she can't blow her cover. 

And the other spy runs into a burning building and suddenly remembers that he's taken some samples from Peter Parker's chemistry set, and tells the others "If I die, give the money from my jacket to the Director - the samples are on the banknotes". Then he runs into the fire. 

And the third spy looks  captain George Stacy in the eye and says "Look, officer, we're SHIELD - if we didn't have a damn good reason to take this boy down, we wouldn't even be in New York. Now let us do our job". 

And in the end of the day, they're not so dysfunctional. 

And they don't know everything that has happened, but they connect the dots and look at the patterns. 

And we play. Because that's the only thing we can do not to go crazy. 

Or is it just me?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts about Terminal City Con

There were a hundred and three games at Terminal City. Three of those were Lamentations of the Flame Princess.  Why? LotFP is fun. The rules...